Wednesday, May 12

Animal Abusers

I do not typically watch Dr. Phil, but I heard about yesterday's show and decided I had to watch.  The entire show was dedicated to animal abusers and rescuers.  
The show opened with a convicted dog fighter named Rob, he actually said he believed that dog fighting was just a sport and not abuse and that though he broke a law and that was wrong,  he believed the law was wrong.  Dr. Phil spoke up at this point and said what was on my mind, which was that this behavior is disgusting and dog fighting is abuse and to claim otherwise is just ridiculous.  After this they showed surveillance video of Rob's dog fighting facility.  I thought about including this video in the blog, but I could not bring myself to post this brutal and disturbing video.  It showed an experienced fighting dog brutally attacking a dog that had never fought before and all you can hear is that dog screaming.  I sat on my couch shaking at this point because I was so mad.  How could stand by and listen to that and watch that and choose to enjoy it.  I have no idea how anyone can inflict pain on a dog (or any animal for that matter) and be think they are in the right.  Completely disgusting!  I almost turned off  the show at this point, but I am glad I did not.  
The next guests were 10 fantastic and very interesting guys, Rescue Ink.  They have written a book, have a rescue foundation and have an upcoming TV show.  They are tattooed, "biker" looking dudes that have attitudes as big as their bodies.  They also have enormous hearts where animals are concerned.  They have taken animal rescue in their own hands and do whatever is necessary within the confines of the law. They have investigated and recorded surveillance to bring down major dog fighting rings and helped expose animal abusers and rescued their animals.  As soon as I find out about their TV show I will post the details, I'm sure to watch these guys work would be entertaining and quite interesting.  Rescue Ink believes in giving a second chance to everyone (that deserve it anyway) and since they have all had a checkered past they believe you can't just give up on these dogs.  That is why they kept Rebel as their mascot.  Rebel was rescued from one of the dog fighting busts they did and he was severely injured, his ears had been mostly ripped off and his face was completely covered with bites and scratches.  Now he is happy and healthy, with the exception of the scars on his face and missing ears, you would never know he was a fighting dog.
At the end of the show Dr. Phil brought out a bunch of dogs that are up for adoption at SPCA-LA, along with a message that I strongly support... Don't Shop, ADOPT!  If you want a dog, please do not go to a pet store, adopt from your local shelter or rescue.  To see some of the dogs that were featured on the show, bark on the link:  Bark!

If you should see abuse happening or suspect it at all, this includes dog fighting, please report it by calling the tip hotline at 1.877.215.2250.

For more information about Rescue Ink, bark on the link:  Bark!

For more information about adopting a pet at SPCA-LA, bark on the link:  Bark!

For the full Dr. Phil show, bark on the link:  Bark!