Maybe your summer vacation is over for this year, but there is always next year or Labor Day weekend for one last get away. I put out earlier Petside.com's top 10 dog friendly cities, but this list is from our friends at Dogfriendly.com. These are the Top 10 Dog Friendly Cities in the U.S. to visit and a brief explanation as to why it was given the rating, as well, the link on the city name will link you to a city guide page.
Portland Oregon tops DogFriendly.com’s 2011 list of the pet-friendliest vacation cities in the United States. Home to the famous and dog-friendly Rose Gardens and the Lucky Lab you and your dog would have a great time in Portland. These top cities are chosen for their pet-friendly accommodations, transportation, beaches, park, attractions, stores, dining and more. Here are the remainder of this year’s Top 10:
2. Chicago – Visit the Navy Pier, dine in elegance, cruise on a pet-friendly tour boat or walk the parks of the city.
3. San Diego – The country’s best dog beaches and trails and world class pet-friendly shopping centers.
4. Seattle – Take public transportation with your leashed dog. Many pet-friendly venues in a dog-friendly city.
5. Philadelphia – Get a famous cheese steak. See historic early American sites and stay in a downtown luxurious hotel.
6. Minneapolis – Great hiking trails and parks, pet-friendly dining. A pet-friendly atmosphere throughout.
7. Austin – Dog-Friendly parks. Outdoor cafes. Take tours and see the sites. See the Zilker Gardens and the Congress Street bats.
8. Alexandria/ Washington D.C. – See the capital’s sites, walk in charming Old Town, take a dog cruise on the Potomac.
9. New York – Luxury hotels welcome dogs, Central park beckons, off-leash parks everywhere. Shop the famous stores with your dog.
10. Indianapolis – Many historical sites, Nature preserves, trails and parks. Many of the cities tourist sites can be viewed with a dog.
What a great list. It really gives me the idea to do a road trip across the U.S. with my pooch. How cool to think of being in Seattle and taking your dog on public transportation... hint, hint LA! I hope you enjoyed this list as well and gave you an idea for a future vacation or weekend get away.