Thursday, March 15

False Story About Dog Hero


I was sent this touching story the other day via email about this dog that served in Iraq and was given the Congressional Metal of Honor for his heroic actions.  I was in tears reading it and was so moved that this was the first dog to be given this honor.  Then I noticed the picture really didn't look like the mix they were saying him to be, but sometime dogs don't necessarily look the way you might think.  But then I was reading more and it was talking about the handler of the dog using sign language to tell him to sneak away and come back later... seemed rather far fetched.  So, I checked to see if the story was true.  Sadly, it was not.

If any of you get this as a forward, know that it is not true.  But it is a good story.  As we are all aware, sometimes the best stories are fiction.  It is just sad when people try to pass it off as truth.  My hope is that one day a dog will earn this metal for the heroic efforts they put out, but until that day, we are left with this creative story.

I will say that the message at the end is positive and I think trying to spread a good word.

Below is the forward that is going around, if you see it, now you will know it is fiction.


The K9 above is Brutus, a military K9 at McChord.
He's huge - part Boxer and part British Bull Mastiff and
tops the scales at 200 lbs. His handler took the picture.
Brutus is running toward me because he knows I have some
Milkbone treats, so he's slobbering away!
I had to duck around a tree just before he got to me in
case he couldn't stop, but he did.

Brutus was the recipient of the Medal of Honour last year from his tour in Iraq. His handler and four other soldiers were taken hostage by insurgents. Brutus and his handler communicate by sign language and he gave Brutus the signal that meant 'go away but come back and find me'.
The Iraqis paid no attention to Brutus. He came back later and quietly tore the throat out of one guard at one door and another guard at another door. He then jumped against one of the doors repeatedly (the guys were being held in an old warehouse) until it opened. He went in and untied his handler and they all escaped. He's the first K9 to receive this honour.
If he knows you're ok, he's a big old lug
and wants to sit in your lap.
He enjoys the company of cats.

K-9 Medal of Honour Winner thought
you'd find this interesting.
Talk about animal intelligence and bonding with humans!
Remember that they can't do a lot of things for
themselves and they depend on you to make
their life a quality life!