Wednesday, February 15

Goodbye To A Special Bark & Clark Friend



Each dog that I train I end up having a special relationship with, but there are a few that end up wedging themselves into a very special place in my heart and the attachment is more than just a trainer and a client.  Yesterday, I learned that one of these very special guys suddenly died.

It was about two years ago I was employed for some private training of a dog that had such a fun and loving spirit but some very unwanted and nasty behaviors.  After a few months I watched the notorious Freckles turn a corner and become a very good dog.  One that even listened to the 6-year-old in the house.

I always had a special fondness for Freckles, I don't know if it was his background, silly personality or just the fact that he was so loveable, whatever it was, he had my heart.  I absolutely loved working with him, though he could be a challenge, it was so rewarding at the end to see him take to the training and become confident.  Watching him settle into his family and finally be happy was such a pleasure.  I would get glowing updates from his mom that would have me smiling from ear to ear.

But yesterday as I looked at my email, what I thought would be another update, turned out to be heartbreaking news.  Freckles apparently started acting a little off and then had a few seizures and then was gone.  They think it was either Cancer or Encephalitis.

My heart breaks today in mourning for such a fun and lovely dog that we lost way too early.  What I can smile about is that he had a family that loved him for him and gave that dog a great life.  I am sure Freckles didn't know how kind humans could be until he got to them, so at least that is how he ended his short life.

I can't believe I don't have a picture of Freckles, but I know his image and beauty of his black and white speckled self will live in my head forever.  Rest in peace sweet boy, you will be missed and loved.