Wednesday, August 25

Experts On The Street

Yesterday was the hottest day yet of our summer and I felt it, as did the dogs I walk.  Which is why I packed extra water for all my furry clients and took everything slow.  But what I didn't take into account is all the experts I would pass on the street that would feel the need to tell me how to do my job.  Of course they did not see us resting in the shade and drinking water, they only saw us walking on the street, but the comments I got were really offensive.  The worst of it was while I was walking a Pug.  Those of you that have experience with Pug's know that they sound as if they are about to hyperventilate as soon as they move around, so add a normal walk to this and they do sound like they are about to pass out... but they are not.  So, as I passed through a cross walk a woman felt so moved as to grab me by the arm and yell into my face that I was killing the dog and needed to get him water and a cooling pad now, or he would be dead.  The funny part to me, is that we had literally just left the park where he had been laying down in the shade drinking water for the past ten minutes, so he was rested.  After she let go of my arm and continued to scream, I walked on.  I am sharing this story for two reasons, one as a reminder to you all that in the heat we need to know our dogs and slow down if they need to.  For the Pug and his Dachshund brother, I walked 10 minutes, took a 10 minute break and then walked for 10 minutes, but this was in the heat of the day so I knew there was no way we could walk for 30 minutes straight.  The second reason is to remind you all to not say anything to someone if you don't know the whole story.  I would of course be the last person to say "don't get involved" if there is wrong being done to any animal, but I am saying make sure there is a wrong to correct, otherwise you are just offensive and in some cases frightening.
Keep cool.