Thursday, October 27

Horse Rescue In Need Of Help



I know, this blog is suppose to be about dogs and downtown, but every so often I come across a story that tugs at my heart strings from my other animal passion... horses.  I grew up on a farm where each family member had their own horse and even had a pony before I was born, so literally, I've been riding horses my whole life.  To me they were never just animals, they were my shoulder to cry on, amazing listening ears and above all loyal friends.  Much like my dogs.  So equally, when I hear of horses being mistreated, it sends me over the edge with anger and I want to do something to stop it.

When I saw this article, I was immediately furious that anyone could be so cruel to these amazing animals.  That fury soon left as I saw the rescue efforts put forth by The Grace Foundation, then came the overwhelming sense that I needed to try to help.  So I turn to you my loyal readers to help this horse rescue continue their good work.  Please watch the video below to hear their story, but for those of you that don't want to watch the graphic images, let explain the situation.

In April, after discovering the horrific conditions at the Whispering Pines Ranch in Lassen County where there were the carcasses of 25 horses that littered the property, many just the skeletal remains,  The Grace Foundation was able to rescue 56 horses.  Of that 56, they found that 18 of the mares were also pregnant.  Now, after nursing the horses back to health, the foundation is tight on cash and asking the community to help.  Their goal is to adopt all the horses out, but there aren’t enough people with the means and interest in giving the horses a good home.  So, their only option is to care for the horses and the soon to be foals and that will take a lot of hands and money.

You may want to know what happened to the owner of these horses.  He was arrested and charged with 30 counts of animal cruelty.

The video explains this all in greater detail, but be warned that there are some graphic images at the beginning.




To donate to The Grace Foundation or help in another way, bark on the link:  Bark!

To watch the news video, bark on the link:  Bark!